The following list of questions is designed to assist applicants in assessing how well their Long-term Research Award Application meets the objectives of the SANREM CRSP. We recognize that it may not be possible/practical to satisfy all of these questions in a single research application. We are seeking applications that address as many of these questions as are necessary to develop a holistic and balanced research program.
SANREM CRSP objectives, systems and inquiry areas
- Does the proposed research compliment SANREM CRSP objectives?
- Does the proposed research demonstrate an understanding of the SANREM CRSP systems approach and inquiry areas?
- Does the application effectively address one or more of the higher level SANREM systems (watersheds, ecosystems, governance/policy)?
- Does the application effectively address SANREM CRSP inquiry areas?
Scientific merit and methodology of proposed research
- Do the problem statement and objectives address SA & NRM needs?
- Does the application demonstrate state-of-the-art knowledge in the proposed research area(s)?
- Is the proposed research original and innovative?
- Are the proposed tasks and methodology sufficient to accomplish the project objectives?
- How significant are the potential impacts of the proposed research to SA and NRM in the proposed host country region(s)?
- What is the likelihood that the results of the proposed research can be scaled up and out for application in other regions?
- Is the proposed activity likely to improve the livelihoods of impacted agricultural and NRM stakeholders?
- Is sufficient time allocated for systematic attainment of objectives?
- Are proposed project administration, partnerships and collaborative relationships feasible?
- Is the proposed quality assurance project plan outline reasonable?
Does the application include appropriate partnerships with letters of commitments from:
- Host country organizations?
- NGOs, CSOs, and private sector partners?
- Does the application have a plan/mechanism to involve all partners in project management?
- Is there evidence of involvement of developing country stakeholders and/or communities of nterest in the development and implementation of research and extension activities?
USAID Mission involvement
- Does the application address USAID Mission strategic objectives in the proposed research region(s)?
- Are there letters of support from USAID Missions in the proposed research region(s)?
- Are partner USAID Missions providing additional support for the proposed research?
- Does the proposed research target the SA & NRM needs of appropriate stakeholders in priority USAID development areas?
Consideration of gender issues
- Does the application demonstrate an awareness of and an integrated approach to address gender issues?
- Does the proposed research activity meet USAID training goals of fifty percent women in new trainee third-country and U.S. enrollments (graduate students, trainees, project scientists)
- Does the application demonstrate an awareness of and an integrated approach to address environmental and biodiversity conservation issues?
Knowledge dissemination plan
- Is there an effective plan to disseminate knowledge generated by the research via publications, workshops, conferences, etc.?
- Are the proposed knowledge dissemination techniques appropriate for all stakeholders?
- Is there a commitment to support the SANREM Knowledge Base?
- Do the project PIs have good publications records?
Training and capacity building
- How many host countries and US graduate students will the proposed project support?
- How many other stakeholders will benefit from proposed training and capacity building activities?
- How will the project increase the capacity of host country organizations (educational institutions, NGOs, CSOs, government) to promote SA & NRM?
Qualifications of PIs and partners
- Do the project PIs and partners have the background and experience required to accomplish the proposed objectives?
- Are the disciplines and expertise of the PIs and partners appropriate given the proposed problem statement, objectives, and methodology?
- Do the project PIs and partners have experience in the proposed research region(s)?
- Is the proposed budget appropriate for the level of activities needed to accomplish the project objectives?
- Are host country/region expenditures at least 50% of the proposed project budget?
- Does the proposed activity effectively build on previous or on-going development activities in the study region(s)?
- Additional sources of support. Is the proposed research supported with additional financial or in-kind resources from USAID Missions, NGOs, IARCs, the private sector, and other sources?