The PES Sourcebook was developed to provide potential managers of PES projects with basic background material on PES that is required to effectively design, implement, and manage PES programs. The Sourcebook uses a broad perspective on what constitutes a “payment.” Depending on the context, payments can imply either cash or noncash incentives, rewards or compensation. The Sourcebook is meant to serve as both a ready reference and a repository of useful knowledge on PES.
This Sourcebook is available here in two forms: you can either download a PDF of the entire PES Sourcebook complete with a set of covers suitable for binding, or use the table of contents below to view/download PDFs of individual sections.
We also have a page on Further Reading with additional documents for you to view/download.
PES Sourcebook Table of Contents
- Brief 1: Basic Principles of PES
- Description of Major Environmental Services
- Brief 2.1: Carbon Sequestration
- Brief 2.2: Payments for Watershed Services
- Brief 2.3: Payments for Biodiversity Conservation
- Brief 2.4: Payments for Scenic Beauty
- Brief 2.5: Payments for Bundled Services
- Design and Implementation Issues
- Brief 3.1: Buyers, Sellers, and Intermediaries
- Brief 3.2: Valuing Environmental Services
- Brief 3.3: Payments and Conditionality
- Brief 3.4: Transaction Costs
- Brief 3.5: PES: Securing Environmental Services and Alleviating Poverty
- Brief 4: Impact Evaluation of PES Programs
- Brief 5: Policies and Institutions: Enabling Factors for PES
- Brief 6: Alternatives to PES for Securing Delivery of Environmental Services
- Brief 7: Payments for Watershed Services Regional Synthesis
- PES Knowledgebase User Manual
- Regional Synthesis Working Papers
- Further Reading