Annual meeting shares research results with colleagues, USAID personnel
Research results from SANREM's Phase III were the focus of the 2009 annual meeting, held August 31 and September 1 in the Washington, D.C., area. Lead PIs from the five LTRAs and the five cross-cutting initiatives presented their findings to colleagues and USAID personnel in sessions that highlighted key development implications of SANREM's research and outreach activities of the past five years.
The meeting opened with a morning business session on August 31st at Virginia Tech's Northern Virginia Center. After welcomes and introductions by Administrative PI S.K. De Datta and Program Director Theo Dillaha, Associate Program Director Keith M. Moore outlined requirements for Phase III Final Reports. Economic Impact Assessment Coordinator Michael Bertelsen explained opportunities for associate awards in SANREM Phase IV. Participants then traveled to the Ronald Reagan Building in Washington for an afternoon of presentations to USAID personnel, followed by discussion.
Besides PIs and Co-PIs, the 36 meeting participants included:
- Alton Thompson, SANREM Board Chair
- Shirley Tarawali of the International Livestock Research Institute, also a Technical Committee (TC) member
- Ron Cantrell, External Evaluation Panel Chair
- Elizabeth Jiménez, host country representative on the TC
- Harry Rea, agreement officer's technical representative for SANREM at USAID
- John Rifenbark, program officer for USAID's Bureau of Economic Growth, Agriculture and Trade.
For a printable PDF with pictures from this meeting, please see Results of 2009 Annual Meeting (PDF).